Monday, September 22, 2014


Well, Cat was baptized!!! It was the craziest week trying to make it all work. She had an interview Monday night, but she didn't pass. So we tried to meet with her on Tuesday to help resolve concerns but she had to cancel. Wednesday I was on exchanges with another Elder in my district and we were able to meet with Cat that night and we helped her resolve her concerns and we felt she was pretty solid for baptism so we set up an interview for Thursday. (note: we normally try to have interviews a week before the baptism for exactly these reasons, to make sure they are ready for baptism) we wanted to meet before the interview though and make sure she was clear on some things. While we were meeting she felt overwhelmed and started crying saying that she was disappointed in us. She felt like she was ready and felt that we thought that she wasn't. So she went home that night without being interviewed and as far as we knew she wasn't getting baptized. I felt like she was ready though and that we should still try to make it happen. So we asked if we could meet on Friday to talk to her about making it work still, and she agreed. She ended up feeling sick that night though so she couldn't meet. It is now Friday night and we were going to try to have an interview that night so she could be baptized the next day, but she couldn't do it. We wondered if we could have the interview the same day as the baptism. I still felt like it could happen. So we called our zone leaders to see if it was possible. They called President Chambers and told him the situation. He said to go ahead and go for it. We then set up with Cat to meet the next morning before she went to work so she could be interviewed. We talked with her for a few minutes to see if she still wanted to do it and she ended up saying she would. So we had the interview and she passed. Then she texted us a couple times while she was at work letting us know she was still kind of questioning it so we met with her after she got home and helped her feel more comfortable with it and then at 6pm she was baptized :) It was an amazing experience. She asked me to baptize her and she had the husband of the fellowship family confirm her. We got permission to do the confirmation at that time rather than in Sacrament meeting the next week like they normally do. So it was really cool. She has a lot of support and a lot of people that care about her. She was also able to attend the Ogden Temple re-dedication the next day which was also great.

So that basically sums up my week right there. The re-dedication was amazing. It's the first one I have ever been a part of. We got to go to one of the three sessions. Malia will be getting baptized in October most likely. Her parents are going through a divorce so its being pushed back a bit, but it will still happen. An Elder in my district died this week. For a total of about 30 seconds I guess. He was called to serve in the Denmark mission but he came home for medical reasons after a period of longer than a year. He is still a missionary though so he serves with the set of Elders in my district that cover his Stake from 9am to 9pm. He has tests and stuff throughout the week and it was during that that he was "dead" for a short period. Thought I'd share :) he is doing good now, they still are trying to find out what he has. Things are going well though and I am excited for the future. I hope you all have a great week! Love you all!

 -Elder McKinney

No comments:

Post a Comment